Sunday, January 24, 2010

Two are Better Then One

The sun was brightly shining through the blue sky's of Western Carolina one warm October 2009 afternoon in the beautiful mountains of Asheville,NC which is where I call home. On this particular afternoon, I can vividly remember having lunch with my sister from Arizona, my daughter Nicki and granddaughter Kennedy who was 3 at the time and my cell phone rang. Silence with anticipation that it was "the" dreaded call from my surgeon who just performed a lumpectomy on my Right Breast the week before. Yes I can now say the "C" word, I have Breast Cancer.

Laughter immediately turned to intense silence as I responded to the "Good news" my Doc was about to deliver. "Luann we have all of the tumor with great margins, both lymph nodes were benign. The size is relatively small 2.6cm. The medical team met and we are recommending as follow up treatment you will have to do both chemo and radiation" Pause.."I am not doing chemo" I replied matter of fact "Why not?" my perplexed doctor asked. "Because my hair will fall out" I answered as tears started streaming down my cheeks as I fought the "verdict." "Well it will grow back." Click. Not believing what I was hearing my daughter took over.

Nicki immediately got out her black berry..googled wigs..and in 20 minutes all 4 of were piled in the car under the order of Sargent Nicki on the way to "Secrets of a Dutches" Side note: Kennedy know for expressing objections to fast movement didn't say one word.

On the way to this strange concept and world of cancer and wigs...the only thought on my mind was I can't believe this is happening. That began to change as we entered the "palace" were greeted by none other than the Dutches who with her English accent quickly pulled her wig off..and said "See you didn't even know I was wearing a wig."

More on Secrets of a Dutches http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH5yVI0z6ds

Laughing at how this place made me feel somehow "normal in a very unnormal situation" the practical Luann came back. I thought "This might not be so bad." You see I was in dire need of a hair cut and color and we know that cost $$$$.

Also I and was out of work for 2 weeks recovering from surgery so doing the math I decided to purchase and wear the wig was cheaper than the color cut so when I returned to work I had one solution taken care of...me being bald and having to deal with it publically. Anyway I tried on wig after wig until we found the perfect natural fitting wig. I was utterly amazed at the provision from God! To this day some people are wondering if my hair really fell out - yes it did! What could have been a disaster turned into a blessing because of my friend and daughter who saw a need and took care of it.

I know many of us are private individuals who don't like to "share" the fact that we need others for various reasons..I don't want to impose, I will do it myself..sometimes it is because we are too proud to ask for help. I do fall under all of those catagories! Ouch!

Think about it..is there one person you know who is a mind reader? If we don't reach out and tell folks we are in need how can they help? Likewise who needs a touch of kindness from you today? It only takes a minute to make a phone call, jot a card..pass on a word of encouragment via an email...you get the idea..

God's Word says it best in Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (The Message)
It's better to have a partner than go it alone. Share the work, share the wealth. And if one falls down, the other helps, But if there's no one to help, tough!

Got a story about how two are better than one??? Let us know.

Keep on Running that Race! Luann

3 comments:

Karen said...

Very snazzy looking blog Luann!

Two was better than one when you came out for Jan's Birthday. I remember sitting on the patio and you asked me about the cult. Being able to just get it out there to someone who did not know anything about it freed me up to begin moving on. Two is better then one when you can find a safe person to talk about thing. You were the safe one. Thank you.

Your Sister
Karen

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

I for one don't think I'll ever forget that day...nor the boo! You left out a major part!! Like when the woman decided to lift up her shirt and show the ENTIRE store her cancer wounds!! MERCY. That was something!

I am glad that I was there that day and that things just worked out so good. God is good in that He always has every little detail, even hair, worked out.

Two are always better than one that's for sure! Great job on your blog!! Looks great!

Running the race said...

Thanks Karen...I do remember that day when you talked about the cult. It was like I was now a part of your life! I plan on doing another blog on the "sister event" so stay tuned. I think it is the little things in life when we sit over a cup of coffee and get real and talk. Nicki thank you for the reminder of that Lady who pulled her shirt up in admiration of the surgeon scar. Guess these are examples of doing life together! Love you guys