Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A breast cancer survivor's story

How do you know a transformation has taken place in your life? Curious I looked up the definition because I wanted to be sure this was the word that actually described what was going on inside of me. According to Webster's defination to be transformed is to change things usually in a good way. Then yes like a cocoon being transformed into a butterfly here is my story.

A long time ago I use to express myself in poetry. Inspired once again by the link Journey Beyond Cancer site my new friend who lives in Ireland highlights poetry once a week, so I thought I would give this a try.

Family summer vacation in 2009 was indeed my time as I felt the lump that was on my mind
Suspicious of what it could be the doctor confirmed the breast cancer in me
Tears wallowed up in the depth of my soul triggered flash backs of horror that took control
A long time ago Mother's surgeon butchered her breasts, purple radiation burns took her best
Would that be my fate, no not I said me my God will supply all my needs
Unaware of how my faith would grow as I embarked on this new day being scared and uncontrolled
But wait I thought of the God that I knew would He be able to handle something as big as this my faith was now being put to the test
Facing this whole nightmare head on I claimed God as my rock, my defender and friend who would indeed see me from begining to end
Summer quickly became fall which became winter and now spring each season brought new and challenging things
The potter began molding me into the new creation I would be
Through this new season in life that was now upon me
The journey began with surgery and tests too numerous to count
Doctors visits and chemo therapy that made my hair fall out
As I looked in the mirror what did I see
Why I see a new me that was changing from the inside out
Afterall who I am is not what my body appears to be
But strength to endure to fight to live comes from within my soul as I see a renewed smile in me
Random acts of kindness others did for me helped carry the load as they partnered in prayer and supported me
One step at a time my shallow heart became soft seeing the needs of others in a brand new way
Because of my rock, my defender and friend I know this new journey is the beginning not the end
This road is not over that is for sure with Jesus by my side I know I will endure
No I am not the same person I use to be so thankful and grateful for the new change in me

4 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Sissy,

You never cease to surprise me. I did not know you like to write poetry. Very beautiful and honest poem! Thank you for sharing.

Love
Karen

Kim said...

Thank you for such a meaning full poem...I like it....tranformation! Good luck in your healing journey!

Running the race said...

Thank you so much Kim! I appreciate you taking the time to stop by!

TopSurf said...

Beautiful poem. Best of luck to you.