Yesterday, I went in for Radiation treatment number 9 out of what I thought was 20. Entering the treatment room which has become second nature I was greeted by the technician. "Good morning how are you?" I asked "Good and you?" the technician replied. "Well I am doing well! So we are on number 9 out of 20 treatments?" He said "Well no that is not what I have ordered for you. You are only scheduled to have 16 treatments." I perked up even more "Hum, the doc originally told me I needed 15 accelerated treatments and 5 treatments of a boost." "Well you will have to talk with the Doctor about that."
As I laid on the cold table and prayed the prayer I pray every morning "Lord protect what needs to be protected and destroy what needs to be destroyed" I heard the now familiar sound of the click of the big white machine comes on and shoots out an invisible radiation beam to the Breast that once held the cancer tumor. At times feeling the heat I humbly ask for protection. Then thinking back on what the technician said and thought well I wasn't expecting to hear that today. That's an unexpected surprise!
I see the Doc this morning and will ask if this is true. Even if it does turn out that he was wrong I fully believe my main prayer on this journey is answered.
Another prayer I have been praying is that I do not get radiation burn which is common with the type of radiation I am having. Well at the start of the radiation,a dear co-worker gave me a huge Aloe Vera plant that has supplied me with all of the Aloe Vera I could need for a year of radiation for protection against a burn. And so far the area being radiated is only a light, light pink. Another unexpected surprise.
Yesterday one of our employees gave me a hand made mountain scarf from a little retired lady who makes these for people who have lost their hair (which I have and is now trying to grow back, which is an interesting topic for another time :). Another unexpected surprise.
Sometimes on this journey I get so tired. There are certainly peaks and valleys that I would have never thought possible in one life. Every once in awhile an unexpected surprise comes along which gives me a boost to keep running the race.
When I think about my God who gave us the greatest unexpected surprise of all, a love that never fails that just blows my socks away!
What unexpected surprises have you had recently?
Running the Race with gratitude in my heart today! Luann
4 comments:
Great post Luann! I love the prayer you pray right before/during radiation, that's a good one! I have had many un-expected surprises along the way, one is the many wonderful people I have met including you! Thanks for sharing your story and faith with the rest of us!
Hugs, Deb
What a delight it was to read your post! I am anxious to hear what your doc says...and praying right along with you!
I can't wait to read a post on your hair!
Blessings to you!
Debbie you are so sweet..you know I would have never thought in a million years the friends that I have developed via bloggs on this winding Journey and you are one of them! Kim that a blogging buddy you are! Through the Blogging sisterhood we are praying other bloggers through. Seems like when we are in the challenge mode someone is carrying the prayer load standing in the gap for us.
Just so you know the doc did confirm 16 was the end of my treatment! However...there is always a however :) Since we are doing this treatment excellerated she does think on one hand a boost would be good, but on the other hand there is not enough data that really conviences her that I really need to do it. We will make the decision next Thursday. I am leaning towards we will be done next Friday.
Hi Luann,
I wanted to let you know I'd been thinking about you. Let me know how you're doing. You've been in my prayers.
XOXOXO,
Brenda
Post a Comment